12.01.2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

This year we had Thanksgiving with our wonderful neighbors the Newells. They are so much fun. We are lucky to live next to people we get along with so well. Jackie is an amazing cook and so anytime she cooks it is a real treat. Ben cooked the turkey and I cooked rolls. Jackie did everything else and it was AMAZING! It was my favorite Thanksgiving yet. Thanks guys we love you!


I am so grateful that my hubby is willing to take on such a big part of the Thanksgiving meal. I cannot cook the turkey. It is so sad. I can't help it. I think it is b/c the raw turkey is a recognisable animal to me. I can't bring myself to touch it (raw that is). After it is cooked I am fine. Ben does such a good job each year and it is always delicious! Thanks Babe!


Our Christmas Tree 2009...

This year we cut down our tree with the the Fitch's, the Amberry's, and the Boyd's. It was so much fun. We are blessed to have such great friends in our lives. Thanks for the memories this year guys!

Great job on picking out the tree this year, Ben. It is the best one yet!!!


The Fitch's and their tree...
The Amberry's and their tree. Kelly was such a trooper. She only has SIX weeks left til her due date and didn't complain once!!!
The Amberry's tree was like a 20 foot tree. It was gi-normous!


The Boyd's and their tree...

After tree hunting for a while, the boys finally decided they would have a better/faster time finding the perfect tree without the kiddos, so they left us in a sunny spot where there wasn't much snow. We had a good time waiting on them to return and luckily while the kids were playing no one fell down the mountain.

Emily, Grace and Matthew

Kai in his backpack. He loved sitting in there and just walking with Ben. I think he felt safe in there b/c when we took him out he asked to get back in. Ben told me that this was his last year in it. Next year Cic will ride in it and Kai and I will walk.


All the kiddos (minus baby Matthew and baby Cic). Kinda crazy that we took all these kids up the mountain huh? It was SOOOO much fun though!
Why is there a picture of my butt on the blog? Well, if you look close...NOT TOO CLOSE THOUGH, you will see a wet ring. No I did not pee my pants.
Going uphill with a baby in the snow is so much easier than going downhill. I was slinging Cici (Thanks to Julie for the AWESOME sling by the way) and Grace didn't have a way down the mountain. I thought it would be easier to just sit and slide down the snow with two kiddos rather than trying not to fall. I wish I had a sled, but we used my butt instead. I laughed the whole way down. When I got down to the bottom I did have to feel to make sure my jeans didn't tear and I could have sworn I was going to have frost bite on my butt. It all worked out and made for a pretty funny story in the end. That was Cici's first time sledding.

Just finished hanging the lights. This takes me a while, but I want each branch to have lights on them. Each branch has lights wound all over it. It is heavy on the tree but so beautiful at night when all the lights are off.

Ben's Grandma Nield always sends us ornaments every year. We hang all the gold ones on our three small trees in the dining room. Kai noticed that one of them was a train. (Oh great). We let him hang that one and re-hang it everyday when he takes it down. I know he has taken it down b/c all of a sudden he is "choo choo"-ing all over the house with it.


This ornament is hilarious. "First Born Mom's Favorite"
Kai loved helping us hang all the ornaments on the tree. This year has already been so much fun with him. Can't wait til Christmas morning to see his face!!!

My mother bought Kai this music box when he was about 6 months old. Santa plays the drums when a button is pushed. It is the most annoying music box ever but Kai loves it to death. His face lights up every time he sees it. Just look at his face in these pictures. He is showing Ben his "toy".

Here is the finished product...
As much as I love the holidays, I always think of those who aren't around. It's like a curse. Just be happy already...I miss all our friends who have moved away or just aren't around anymore. I hope EVERYONE has a wonderful holiday. You are missed.

Polar Express in 3-D
Kai is obsessed with trains. I mean, he is hard core....will throw a temper tantrum in the middle of the store EVERY SINGLE TIME he sees ANY sort of train. We thought he would like The Polar Express movie this Christmas and we were dead on. He likes it to much that he hid the movie from us. (Probably storing it in a safe place for use at a later time). We searched the house EVERYWHERE. One night Ben and I stayed up til 11:30pm (which is really late for me) just looking for it. It is gone...or maybe only Kai will be able to find it.
Anyway, we always go to Target the day after Thanksgiving (after the tree hunt) just to see what "bargains" they have.
We found The Polar Express 3-D movie (which included the original movie as well) for $5! YAY! So, after we put Cici down and Kai was fed we pulled out the glasses and enjoyed the movie as a family. It was our first 3-D movie and it was awesome! I had to put a beanie on Kai to keep his glasses on b/c they were a bit too big. Kai LOVED the movie. It was the first WHOLE movie that we have been able to sit through with him. It totally kept his attention and he was "choo choo"-ing all night long.


Church was short lived on Sunday. I went to drop Kai off at nursery and when we walked in there were a couple of kids with a horrible cough. We walked right out. I don't understand why parents bring sick kids to church. I was so frustrated b/c Kai is much too loud and busy to take to class with me now. So, after interrupting Sunday School a few times we left and headed home. I am afraid that this will be a frequent occurrence b/c I will just not put my kids into a classroom with other kids who are contagious...especially church.
We got home and I put Kai down for his nap but Cic was wide awake. I let her sit by the Christmas tree and snapped this shot of her happy face. I love this face.

7 comments:

Basil B. said...

No... WE'RE the lucky ones to have you guys as neighbors! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with you!!

The tree looks beautiful! I need to stop by and see it!

LOVE the pic of you three in the 3D glasses... classic!

Marci said...

LOVE CiCi's little outfit in that last picture. And although I'm in no way jealous of the cold, I'm jealous of the fact you can climb up a mountain and cut your own tree down - such fun memories for your kiddos!

Lindsay said...

You are so lucky that Ben is so helpful on Thanksgiving! I've never done the turkey, we're always with family so someone else does it. Your tree is beautiful, looks like a good time in the mountains. Also, I know that my kid was coughing in the nursery on Sunday. We had the H1N1 back in October and she is still coughing from it. She isn't contagious, she just has a nagging cough. But I know how you feel not wanting your kids in there with sick kids. I just wanted to let you know that she wasn't sick.

Kristal said...

Oh my! Previous comments just make me laugh!! But I love your tree, I think it looks amazing! I wish I was there to see it in person. And I too love Cicilee's dress, it looks very festive!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

I have a lot to comment on..so here it goes! I didn't find the Polar Express for $5 at Target..booo. Boston LOVES that show too! I keep waiting for it to come on tv so we can DVR it. So cute with your glasses. Secondly..LOVE your tree. After putting up our pathetic faky this year I've decided we have to get a real one from now on!! ( I may not win that battle though.) I love you wet butt shot. Hilarious. I can just hear you laughing all the way down and it makes me miss you so much. And congrats on Turkey dinner. I can't even look at the raw turkey either. Boston was petting it at my Mom's this year and it totally grossed me out and I had to wash his hands like 10 times. Speaking of washing hands, Amen to keeping sick kids home. Boston has an awful stomach bug right now and It will be quite a while before I take him anywhere. Love you and miss you guys so very much.

Jena Hendry said...

Oh, such a fun weekend! The tree hunting looks like an adventure, sorry about your fall! The Polar Express looks like a ton of fun. And I love Cic sitting in front of the Christmas tree. That would be a cute holiday card :)

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Oh girl, I miss you. SO MUCH. Those were the days, weren't they, back in Sharing Time. I too have no love for the parents who knowingly bring kids to class who are sick sick sick. Thank goodness most of mine are at the age when they can be (legally) left home alone during Church if the need should arise.

Thanks for the sling shout out! I really am going to get back to them after the holidays. I have enjoyed my little business, but have no time right now to devote to anything that doesn't get wrapped and put under the tree.

Your kids are so cute. Adorable. We used to go get trees just like you when Sid and Cal were tiny. I miss it! But I also enjoy pulling our tree from a box the day after Thanksgiving and putting it away in January, not having to worry about the towering inferno inbetween. But that's just me!

Hope to see you soon.