Our AMAZING neighbors Nick and Jackie bought us a Lobster Gram for New Years Eve as a thank you for watching their dog (Basil) over Christmas. I would totally recommend this gift to those of you wracking your brain for ideas. It is such a unique gift and so so yummy!
Lobster Grams are so delicious and so...sad at the same time. This is the second time we have gotten one and it was just as hard and sad the second time around. Ben thinks I am pathetic (I know I am). I just can't help but bond with the lobsters. I always name them and want to keep them as pets...the whole works. They are fascinating.
Kai gets really excited whenever we get a package. Most packages we get are usually from my Mom to him with some sort of new toy. He immediately wanted to rip the box open to see what cool gadget/toy was inside.


I was a little nervous b/c I knew that upon opening this box we would have a live animal and I was worried Kai would be scared (lobsters can be scary looking right?). Boy was I wrong...He was so excited and couldn't stop looking at them. I finally told him that the lobsters needed to take a nap and he left them alone until Ben came home. As soon as Ben walked in the door Kai ran over to the lobsters to show Ben what was in the box. He was so excited!

Overcoming my fear of the "scary looking lobsters". I decided that I couldn't let myself look scared if I didn't want Kai to be scared.


Yup, turns out that I am a hypocrite...
I am constantly telling Kai not to play with his food...then I go ahead and play with ours. My justification...It was educational. :) I mean how many times is he going to get the opportunity to hold a live lobster?


Cici watched from a distance. She still puts everything in her mouth so I wouldn't let her get too close.

The instructions that came with the lobsters said that you could rub their head (kinda stroke it) and it would put them in a trance before you dumped them into the pot. I did my best to put them into a trance...(I AM SO SO PATHETIC HUH?!)

This is Sebastian (I know...not very original, but I do love The Little Mermaid). I thought it was a pretty cool picture.

Maybe I should say, "No MORE playing with your food" from now on... :)
Here is Kai holding Dopey. He was so excited when I told him he could hold one of them.





The worst part of the evening was when it came time to cook Dopey and Sebastian. Kai and I did our best begging but Ben wouldn't take us out and get a salt water aquarium to let us keep them in. Kai didn't really understand what was going on...I just told him that the lobsters needed to go "night, night". I know...I am a horrible Mom. What a crappy explanation! I just don't think he would really understand what was happening.
When Ben boiled the lobsters and took them out of the pot he started cracking the claws and getting all the meat out. Kai just sat in his high chair and kept saying, "Uh oh" over and over again. It broke my heart.

This morning when he woke up he walked all over the kitchen looking for his "Lolly la's" Then pointed to where Ben had cracked the shells open and said "Uh oh". Yup...tough lesson to learn at two years old. Still a tough lesson for me to learn at 27. But, educational right?







5 comments:
this post just cracks me up! :)
You guys should move to the east coast, where you can pick your own lobstahs out of a tank! They don't come any fresher than that! (of course you still have to name them and then cook them .......)
I am NEVER eating lobster again. I am sitting here holding back the tears. I couldn't have done it. I would have MADE JT get a salt water aquarium. Don't ever get me that gift, even if I watch your kids for a week or something like that. Oh it's just soooooooooooo sad. Did Kai really have to say "uh -oh!" Glad I wasn't there!p.s. I lost my phone and subsiquently all my numbers!!
What a fun night! Happy 2010!
That is so funny that you have so many pictures to document the "experience"! Love Kai's reactions!
Post a Comment