3.23.2011

"...To THe MooN aND BaCK..."

I had an experience tonight with Kai that I always want to remember...

We did our regular routine...bath, read a story, say prayers, go to bed. It was a normal evening and Kai helped me tuck Cic in her crib before we went to his room. He jumped right into bed since he didn't nap today and was pretty tired. He gave me a huge smile and I immediately knew that he wanted to play our "I love you game."
I started it off.
Me~ "I love you Kai. I love you to the moon and back one time."
Kai~ "I love you to the moon in back two time."
Me~ "I love you to the moon and back three times."

This game is played until I finally give up and tell him he must love me an awful lot. He always wants to "one up" me. He's usually satisfied if I have a big enough reaction to his number.

Tonight we played to the number six and then I agreed and said that I loved him to the moon and back six times too. I was standing in the doorway when we both laughed and I thought the game was over and he was satisfied. I came downstairs and started picking up the house and all of a sudden heard Kai sobbing in his room. I was so confused because I had just left his side and he was happy.
When I opened his door I found a sad little boy. Kai was laying in bed, his cheeks wet with tears, and his eyes were all welled up.

Before I could even get a word out, he started up in a weak voice, "I love you in the moon and back like..."
When he says "like" instead of a number it means that he needs help with the next number and is waiting for me to answer him.
I guessed and replied, "six."
He started crying, "no."
So, I guessed, "seven."

All of a sudden the tears stopped. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "I love you in the moon and back seven time."

He then rolled over to go to sleep.

He was just frustrated that he couldn't remember what came after six...wanted me to know that he loved me more than six times.
Oh Kai, I love you. Thanks for making my day. You always know how to make me feel so special.

3 comments:

Melisa said...

Girl! Maken me cry over here. What a sweetheart. Too cute.

Carly said...

Oh so precious. Miss you.

Kristal said...

Oh My Gosh! Too cute!